Thursday, August 21, 2014

A day at the Fair

It was a very warm and muggy day at the Minnesota State Fair yesterday, but that didn't stop me and about 100,000 other folks from enjoying the day.  And no, I'm not exaggerating.  The past several years have had opening day attendance easily in excess of that number.

On the bus to the fairgrounds I met a couple who had just flown in from Dallas, TX to meet up with friends at the fair.  They even had their luggage with them!  We enjoyed talking as we rode along.  She is also a quilter and I was able to clue her in on the several locations where quilts are displayed at the fair.

I met up with my sister, her hubby, and a niece for a while.  My sister particularly liked this quilt made by a quilter from Plymouth, MN.  It won a lovely pink ribbon, but her name and other details were obscured.  Here is one quarter of her quilt.  This might be a great layout idea for a combination of orphan blocks of different sizes.  I do always wonder what to do with those.

One of the high school bands in today's parade was from Eden Prairie, MN.  Another of my nieces is in the band there.  I didn't see her, but I was too far away as they passed by. I love a parade with marching bands, don't you?

In the horticulture building I snapped this photo of a very unusual pepper plant.  It was labeled Chinese Five Color Pepper.  Look at all the colors!  Purple, Yellow, Red, Orange, and Green.  Wouldn't it make a great colorway for a quilt?


Just before heading home I stopped by Rosebud's Cottage.  She has a local quilt shop in White Bear Lake, MN.  And while I've not yet been up to the shop, I do enjoy seeing her booth at the fair and all the lovely quilts and patterns.  I picked up Sweet Summertyme from the 2014 Row by Row Experience Shop Hop.  Log cabin style watermelon slices!  Totally adorable.  It will probably become a table runner for the cabin.

No comments:

Post a Comment