Tuesday, March 21, 2017

The taffeta disaster

Have you ever stumbled across a really old abandoned quilting project?  One surfaced here today. What's this???  Pieces neatly put into bags, labeled B, d and Borders.  No pattern.   What happened to A and C?

A few strips pieced and cut.  Have you ever seen anything so crooked?  Look at that middle strip!  And that border strip across that top... um... that's not straight in anyone's imagination. Up to 1/2 inch wave on the left.

The blue taffeta was fabric left over from making the Maid of Honor gown I wore at my sister's 1985 wedding.  I must have thought I could make a quilt for her out of the scraps.  Clearly, taffeta does not work well for quilting!   I was cutting with scissors back then -  no rotary cutters yet.  What a disaster!  Looks like it shifted all over the place.  

Glad this didn't keep me from trying again and learning to quilt.   Now I can only laugh at myself.  What ever was I thinking????  It does make me realize the challenges that quilters had long ago when they worked with silks and taffeta fabrics they had on hand.  The white print cotton might be worth saving, but the taffeta is going out the door!


No comments:

Post a Comment