Thursday, April 26, 2018

A couple small quilts

Spring is coming slowly this year, and it has given me time to finish binding a couple of small quilts.

The first, as yet unnamed, sprang from a desperate need to reduce the scraps in my 5-inch scrap bag.  It hardly made a dent!  The starting point: five remaining tan squares from a border print dress I made way back in the 1980's!   They were all that was leftover after making this table runner a few years ago.
33 x 37-1/2 inches

The second is a small quilt that used up all the pink/white squares remaining from a whole-cloth baby quilt that I made two years ago.  Little tan bunnies, frogs, turtle and dragonflies make these fussy-cut blocks shine.  Perfect for Easter!
30 x 32 inches
And finally, a little 13-inch square blue and white quilt from Kathleen Tracy's book Small and Scrappy.  The light fabric was cut from a blouse that my late mother had sewn for herself.  It's not 100% cotton and was hard to work with.  It just wouldn't stay square.  All kinds of wonky!  And, of course, I was too lazy to get out the spray starch to keep it in line.  But it turned out pretty well, and it will always remind me of Mom.  Here it is with my Aunt Mary Ellen's old Singer.

13-inch square blue and white quilt 


2 comments:

  1. It sounds like each of your new small quilts holds special memories. Your photos of each of them are very nice. Love your aunt's sewing machine, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun to have your little quilts made with memories! They are all pretty cute, especially that tiny blue and white one. I love how you have displayed it--sweet!

    ReplyDelete