Wednesday, April 15, 2020

Cheddarback top is done!

It took a while, but the antique reproduction of Cheddarback by Sentimental Stitches is done!  There was a real tough decision to be made at the end.  Should I add one more row of large blocks just to the right of center and make it a queen size quilt?  Much more useful for our family.

So, the two sections went up the wall for a photo.  As they say, a picture is worth a thousand words.  That photo instantly told me that this quilt did not want another row in between.  So, the last seam was sewn and Cheddarback is a complete top. 

Can you spot the impostor in the top row center?  It was an orphan block made by my friend's mother,  Mrs. Larson.  It was in a box of leftover quilting fabric and sample blocks that was given to me.  It was the right size and color, so why not give it a chance to shine?  It takes the place of four smaller blocks that I chose not to make.

Here are some interesting things I learned:  1.  This is a brilliant layout.  The mixture of large and small blocks with sashing is very clever.  I might do this with my own orphan blocks.   2.  I still can't get the hang of paper piecing.  3.  I had a hard time with most of these blocks.  The cutting and piecing method was often not the same approach that I would have used, and I ended up re-making at least 1/4 of the blocks. But, I understand that Gay was being as true to the original as she could, and the original had some really crazy piecing going on.

The cheddar and white sunflower fabric I found for the back is fabulous, and I can't wait to start quilting.  But, there are at least three quilts ahead of this one in line. 

2 comments:

  1. Your Cheddarback turned out great and I love that you added that orphan block to make the quilt your own. I did a lot of messing about toward the end, but I doubt anyone would be the wiser. I'm about halfway done quilting mine (with fans). There were a lot of very challenging blocks but that was part of fun, I think. Congrats on getting yours all together!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very pretty! I love your initials in there, too!

    ReplyDelete