Friday, June 10, 2022

A quilt for the June bride

Our niece was married last weekend and I finished their wedding quilt with just two days to spare.  Her favorite color is red, and she wanted a controlled color palate.  Nothing scrappy for her!  Classic and classical are her style.

As I thought about the design I wondered "Where does the time go?  Sand through the hourglass."  It has been a joy to watch her grow and change, and she was a stunningly beautiful bride. Disappearing Hourglass is the pattern I chose for their quilt, in a two-color red and white.


Disappearing Hourglass 92" square

The white fabric has a sweet gray swirl which softens the look of the quilt.  Her bridesmaids wore burgundy red dresses quite similar to the red in the quilt.  I'll call that a win!



While I was sewing their quilt, I was reminded how a marriage and a quilt have some similarities.  As much as I try, on my quilt blocks there are always points that just don't match up right.  But, in the grand scheme of things that doesn't really matter unless the quilt is going to be entered in a competition.  A marriage is NOT is a competition!  Some points won't be perfect, but focusing on those too closely just makes you dissatisfied with the whole thing.  With a quilt, and a marriage, you need to  see it as a whole.  The imperfections become insignificant, the overall beauty is revealed and you see that marriage, like a quilt, is truly a work of art.

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful quilt!!! Wonderful wedding gift! I love these magical "disappearing" blocks. Marriage is a like a quilt--love that thought! Beautiful when it's fresh and new, gets better with age!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think those lovely thoughts should be printed on every wedding quilt label. Love the quilt--so beautiful and classic--and the points look perfect from here!

    ReplyDelete