Friday, February 5, 2016

Let it Snow!

Finally, finished quilts to show you!


Who remembers Daisy Kingdom?  These kits were all the fad about 20 years ago.  The printed fabric was meant to be cut apart and used in embellishing sweatshirts, or in other craft projects.  I found this one at the thrift store for under $1 just after Christmas.  Clearly, it was someone's unfinished project!

 A couple of 9-patch blocks, and a little checkerboard strip coordinated perfectly, and this week "Let It Snow" went into the 'Finished!' category.  Perfect timing - we had a huge snowstorm on Tuesday and it gave me the time to finish this up!

Let it Snow!  23 inches square,  original design

The binding still needs to be hand sewn down, but I'm going to call it finished anyway.

I do volunteer work for two organizations, and very frequently there is nothing to do while I wait for the phone to ring, or a visitor to stop in.  So, I've started using that time to sew bindings down.

There is one more quilt in the hand-binding tote that I'm working on, and it's a UFO from last year.  I quilted this with variegated thread, which I usually don't use, and it turned out very nicely.

The whole point of making this quilt was to use up those little red and yellow pinwheels that were left over from another project.  Think I went overboard?  I have the name of the designer that inspired this on a slip of paper here somewhere, but it has mysteriously vanished.  I'll update as soon as it turns up.  But for now, I'm just glad to call it a Finish!  The backing is a heavy yellow flannel print, so it should be a cozy quilt.
Update: The quilt below is inspired by "Cabin in the Woods", an Ellen Murphy design in the book American Homestead Quilts.

Courthouse Pinwheels  44 x 54 inches
And one more carry-over from last year, Tucker, which was a Temecula Quilt Co. sew along.  By adding another star block section I was able to make mine into a cute little table runner.


Project count for 2016:
Unfinished projects on January 1st: 17
Finished by February 5th: 3
Started new: 6
Finished new: 4 (gifts, so I can't show you them yet)

And just to round out the statistics, in 2015 my finishes were:
1 queen quilt
1 twin quilt
7 lap quilts
4 baby/crib quilts
11 wall hangings
6 table runners
6 table topper/candle mats

Linking up with other finishes at Crazy Mom Quilts.blogspot

No comments:

Post a Comment