Sunday, March 6, 2016

This week is brought to you by the letter T

Have you been keeping up with Circa 2016, the free quilt-along from Temecula Quilt Co.?

After a weekend away from my sewing room (and my computer) it was fun to find out that this week's block was "Big T."  So appropriate!

We just got back tonight from a weekend visiting our DD and SIL who live in beautiful northern Wisconsin.  And, their last name begins with the letter 'T'!  Knowing how to make this block may come in handy for a future quilt for them.

Here are a couple tricks that helped with this block:

1) Cut from 4" x 5" scraps.  Place light and dark fabrics right-sides-together.  Cut a strip 2" x 4" and then cut that in half to make the 2-inch pieces.  Then cut the remaining piece down to a 3-inch square.

2) Press the larger HST's to the light side, and the smaller ones to the dark side.  Use the one HST that you need to cut down to the smaller size as the 'bottom' of the Big T.  Your seams will nest beautifully!

Earlier this week I finished up this little doll quilt.  Square-in-a-square.  I was having tension problems with both my sewing machines, and needed a break.  There was way too much ripping out free-motion quilting, and machine embroidery happening around here. It was just awful!  I needed something to make me smile, and piecing this from my scrap bags did the trick.

This week I'm on jury duty, and have a table runner to hand-sew binding while I wait around.  No scissors, so a pack of dental floss will come along to use as a thread cutter.  Can't wait to show you when it's finished!

Have a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment