Tuesday, January 8, 2019

Good Fortune in 2019

In between all else I really have been trying to keep up with Bonnie Hunter's Good Fortune Mystery Quilt.  
The start of Good Fortune!

The final reveal came out, and I put together two blocks just to see what they looked like.  Then I packed up the rest of the pieces to take along on our ice fishing trip this weekend.  Yes, the sewing machine will be coming along!

I've made a couple small adjustments to the instructions.  In my stash was a nice rich gold fabric with orange/peach roses.  I love it, and it's been in the stash way too long!  So, instead of string piecing orange - which I have almost nothing of in my stash- I went with the gold as a solid piece.

My other time-saving change was making most of the blue half-square triangles by the Magic 8 method.  I don't think you can see it, but the lower left blue HST is actually a pieced cut-off from my On Ringo Lake border.  There are going to be about a dozen of those sprinkled through the quilt.

And, for the sake of just getting this one done, I'll probably use yardage pieces instead of the string-pieced neutrals in the border.   Most of my narrow neutral strings have been used up in recent leader-ender projects anyway.

This quilt will finish smaller than queen size, so I might add another solid border of the gold to make it a more usable size for our family. One step at a time.

It looks like this is my 400th blog post!  That's a great milestone to start off a New Year.  Thank you for stopping in and quilting awhile with me.

Linking up with Quiltville to share my progress at : https://quiltville.blogspot.com/2019/01/mystery-monday-link-up-reveal.html

No comments:

Post a Comment