Thursday, August 1, 2019

Remembering Cheri monthly sew along

The last two buttons have been sewn on and Remembering Cheri is ready to pin and quilt.   One block for each month of the year, plus a few odds and ends in Cheri Payne's distinctive primitive style.  The pattern was available through Quilts by Cheri Friendship Group on Facebook. 

The pattern is also supposed to have a lot of applique in the outer border, but I'm just not an applique quilter.  At least for now, I'm saying I'm done! 

I learned so much from Cheri, even though I have a different preferred quilting style.
1.  You don't have to follow the pattern!  Make a quilt your own.  If you don't like a certain element, change it!
2.  You don't have to have things perfectly match.  Colors, fabric lines or points.
3.  Spontaneity brings joy and motion to a quilt.
4.  Work outside your comfort zone for a change.

I have difficulty quilting applique pieces like this with lots of buttons and trim things on it.  Perhaps just a meander that avoids all those things will work.  And what was I thinking when I didn't change the Whale?  There aren't whales in Minnesota!  I think I was just too busy (lazy) last August to change it to a sunfish, bass or walleye.  Do you think it will always bother me?

1 comment:

  1. There may not be whales in MN, but he sure is cute! Maybe someday you will see an actual whale (or already have) and it can be a little memorial to that? I love Cheri's designs--she really was, and still is, an inspiration to just have a good time quilting.

    ReplyDelete