Thursday, July 2, 2020

Cheddar back finish

What better way to celebrate Independence Day, and the final submission of a huge grant project I've been writing this past month, than to post a quilt finish?

Cheddarback, an antique reproduction sew-along shared by Gay at Sentimental Stitches, is finished!  Gay stayed true to the original, so some of those blocks were pretty nasty to put together.  I suspect that in the original, some of the blocks were a different size and cut down to fit.

Of course, I had to put my own spin on it.  The center top block was an orphan made by my friend's late mother, Shirley Larson, many years ago.  Toward the end of the sew-along I ran into a time crunch, and a few other blocks also came out of my orphan block box.  But, I stayed with the overall theme and I love it!

This is one of those quilts that looks much better in the picture than up close.  The overall pattern emerges.  It's quilted in diagonal rows, and the cheddar backing has adorable sunflowers in the print.

A special trip was made to Hobby Lobby for red binding fabric.  Haven't been in there more that a couple times since the COVID-19 pandemic.  It made me sad, and long for happier days.  We have lost two acquaintances to this illness, and are doing our best to stay safe and healthy.  Please do your best to stay well too.

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful finish, Jean!!! The binding frames it so nicely. I love how you added in some of your orphan blocks--super idea! It makes your quilt unique. Take care...

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful finish! I wouldn't have known you used orphan blocks and I also made the quilt--lol! They fit right in. I wish we had a Hobby Lobby closer than St. Cloud--it's so much fun to visit there. I've only been to Cub, Costco, Menard's and the plant nursery in the last three months. I'm so ready to start shopping at the fun places, but nervous too!

    ReplyDelete