Thursday, July 30, 2020

Woodchuck Alert!

How much batting will a woodchuck chew, if a woodchuck would chew batting?

All pinned and ready to quilt, my Snow on the River quilt found out the answer to that question this past week.  
Chewed batting

A week ago, my nephew and a friend spent the weekend working on a project in our garage.  Both garage doors (front and back) were open most of the time because it was a very hot weekend.  When we returned the following weekend, we discovered quite a mess in the garage!  Things tipped over and knocked down. A little woodchuck had somehow been trapped in the building all week.  And boy, was it hungry!

My quilting area is upstairs in the garage, and little woodchuck had a good chew on my quilt batting.  Fortunately, it decided that batting doesn't taste too good before it started to chew on the fabric, so not much harm was done.  What a relief!

Our hungry little captive.

We didn't know what kind of animal had been in there.  I left the service door open, and a short while later it peeked it's nose out, then made a bee-line for the nearby flowerbed and started eating.  It didn't even seem to care that people were around.  We finally hurried it along it's way.  I'm so glad it was just a baby, and not the full grown woodchuck we had in the neighborhood a few years ago.  That one would have done a LOT more damage!

2 comments:

  1. Oh no--what a little stinker! We had one living under our deck one year and it would come out and eat my tomato plants down to stubs. That's when I gave up vegetable gardening! They are definitely voracious eaters! Thank goodness he didn't do more damage to your quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a story!?! I'm glad he got bored with the batting pretty quickly!

    ReplyDelete