Monday, December 13, 2021

Just Takes 10?

 A series of doctor appointments this fall had me looking through my orphan blocks to sew up a small quilt so I could hand-sew binding on as I waited.  You never know how blocks will speak to you, but inspiration struck, and the result is this very Christmas-looking red and green lap quilt.  


The blocks have been sitting neglected in my box for ten years.  In 2012, Gail at Sentimental Stitches had a sew-along called Just Takes 2.  It was a lovely two-color red and white quilt.  I chose green and white for mine and enthusiastically dove right in.  Eventually though, I just couldn't keep up.  After making about 1/3 of the blocks, I stopped.  Was my background fabric was too busy?  Was it all too green? I'm not sure what.  No matter.  

Some leftover pices of the background fabrics were with the blocks.  I framed eight smaller blocks to be the same size as eight larger blocks and put them all together with a barn red sashing fabric.  The backing and binding is a cute homespun plaid from deep stash with just the right shades of green and red.  

It has a new home on the sofa at the lake cabin.  So cozy!  Since it took ten years to get these blocks into a quilt, maybe I should call it Just Takes 10!

1 comment:

  1. So cute, Jean!!! Just in time for Christmas this year! And yes, sometimes quilts take 10, or more, years!

    ReplyDelete