Wednesday, December 22, 2021

Vintage Christmas

 In 1984 I made a Christmas quilt from pre-printed blocks.  It was the sixth quilt I had ever made.  No classes or instructions, no teacher.  My lack of skills clearly showed.  Can you see any actual quilting in this photo?  I thought not.  The only quilting it has was stitched 1/4 inch on each side of the seams around each motif and where the red and green met.  Never having heard of a walking foot, I fought with this big quilt to get that little bit of quilting done on my old Bernina Nova.  (How I miss that little machine!  It was a high school graduation gift from my parents.  The foot pedal died, and can't be replaced.)

86 x 86 inch Christmas quilt made in 1984

Wall hanging 2021
My choice of backing left something to be desired as well.  I used a vellux blanket fabric and no batting.  Now, this wasn't too bad considering the light use the quilt was given.  It was on the bed a couple weeks a year at most.

Over time though, the rubber in the vellux disintegrated. Yuck!  It was a sticky mess!  In 2009 I ripped the backing off - which wasn't hard considering the lack of quilting.  It basically fell apart in my hands.  The red, and some of the green fabric was re-used in other quilts.  The four corner motifs were made into hot pads with insulated batting and denim backing. The rest went in to the orphan block box.

Now, in 2021, more of those panels have a new life.  Last weekend I made this wall hanging for our cabin to add a festive holiday spirit to the hallway.  It was a fun, quick project for the holidays.  It looks a little wobbly in this photo from the way it is hanging.  Some of the other motifs will probably become placemats.  

Wishing you, and yours a very Blessed Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment