Wednesday, March 23, 2022

Moda Love for Ukraine

 So many quilters are showing their support for the people of Ukraine as they both battle and flee the invading Russian military forces who are destroying their country.  A floral print in the Ukrainian national colors of royal blue and yellow inspired this queen size version of the Moda Love pattern.  

I used 8.5-inch blocks to best fit the amount of fabric I had on hand.  Seriously, the math is so easy with this pattern that any size block can be used.  The yellow grunge and the floral were entirely used up, and the blues were mostly scraps. I won the bobbin race a few times too!   

Next step is to figure out what designs I want to use to quilt it.  I use my domestic sewing machine, so there may be a lot of straight lines and walking foot stitching.  We shall see. The pieces on this quilt seem huge to me!  The past few years my quilts have mostly been 2.5-inch triangles and Bonnie Hunter designs.  At that scale a simple stitch in the ditch, or diagonal through the block quilting pattern works well.  That's not going to work on this quilt, but there's no hurry.

Two wedding quilts for nieces with summer and fall weddings are next on my to-do list.  Those both have specific wedding dates to be finished.  Stay tuned!



1 comment:

  1. It's beautiful, Jean! So timely. I'm sure you'll come up with a quilting plan. Straight line always fits the bill.

    ReplyDelete