Tuesday, March 20, 2012

February color palette challenge progress

The color palette challenge inspired me to dig into some of my boxes of fabric and give it a try.  In February the challenge photo was a bunch of figs, and the colors were a springtime mix of greens, pinks and yellows.  What else would one do with figs than put them in a basket!  I've never tried a basket quilt block and so I decided my challenge block would have to be a basket.  After looking at several styles, I chose the traditional "Basket of Chips" pattern in a 10 inch block, and made up a sample.
I really liked the way it looked, and so I made a few more.  Actually, I cut enough pieces to make a bed sized quilt with 20 blocks, but after making up a few it seemed a bit much.  Sometimes a quilt just talks to you and the design changes mid-stream.  I scaled back to a group of 9 baskets and setting blocks.  Most of the remaining pieces that I cut became the border. 
Here's how it looks so far.  I'm thinking of adding a narrow border to anchor the quilt, probably a dark brown similar to the basket color.  I'll have to go and get something from the fabric store, because I don't have enough of that brown left.  Now, that can be a good thing because it means I'm using up fabric - right?  I think that Baskets of Figs will stay in the thinking stage for a while until I can find just the right border fabric.

No comments:

Post a Comment