Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Album Quilt: Gertie Simmons

It has been a long time since the last blog post.  It has been a busy summer with quite a few out-of-town guests staying with us, and my sewing machine has been put away for some time.

Still, I've had quilting on my mind.  In every free moment I've been researching the names on the Album Quilt at the Bloomington Historical Society.  Imagine my surprise to find the name of this young woman.


Gertie Simmons block - Indian's Womens Miss. Society  Presbyterian Church
1893 Yankton Agency S.D.
Album Quilt - Bloomington Historical Society
  This young woman went on to become a well-known Native American Author, Founder of the National Council of American Indians, and advocate of Indian rights.  She was a talented musician as well, and even collaborated to write an Opera in 1913.  Here I was looking at the names in the local Greenwood, SD Presbyterian Cemetery - and to find out she's buried in Arlington National Cemetery!
Here's where you can read about Gertrude Simmons (Zitkala-Sa) .  Her mother Ellen Simmons also has her name on one of the blocks in this quilt.

No comments:

Post a Comment