Saturday, April 20, 2013

Crabapple Jelly

As the daughter of depression-era parents, I have the habit of keeping a pretty full freezer.  And I ususally don't know half of what's in there - so it doesn't get used in a timely manner.  Yesterday I spend a good portion of the morning defrosting and cleaning out the downstairs freezer. It was a big project!  In the 'use it or lose it' pile were two bags of frozen crabapple juice from my sister's Delgo Crabapple tree that had been there longer than I care to admit.

Our parents had a spectacularly beautiful tree in their front yard for many years.  After it was gone, my sister planted one because she missed the apples so much.  They have very red skins, and are very tart - similar to cranberries.  Mostly my sister makes jelly from the crabapple juice, and she had given me the juice to make jelly.  (As if I would take the time to do that!)

I finally made up that jelly yesterday afternoon.   Ta-dah! 


Recipe:  Bring 4 cups Delgo Crabapple juice to a boil.  Add 3 cups sugar.  Return to boil for 20-25 minutes, skimming off the foam, until just before it reaches the sugar saturation point and suddenly boils up.  Pour into sterilized glasses & seal.

The next thing to use up are frozen raspberries from our garden. Have way too many of those stashed in the freezer!  How does Raspberry Banana Bread  sound?

No comments:

Post a Comment