It was a lovely weekend to quilt awhile at the lake. I worked on piecing the alternate blocks for the Moda Friends and Companions sew-along.
Here is "Autumn Friends and Companions."
Next step is a 2-inch black border, and then a scrappy orange border. I had started with one orange fabric and ran out, so I used a second orange fabric for a couple blocks. Then I found some more of the first fabric. (sigh) But I still don't have enough of either for the border, so I'll add a few more oranges and give it a scrappy border.
It's always a good idea to give projects a review, and I learned a few things from this project. Color substitutions can be tricky on a mystery quilt. I think I may have selected autumn colors that were too similar in value. Even though I love all the fabrics, the piecing disappears in a couple of the blocks.
On the plus side, a surprising discovery. I love how the designer made the black center of the 'alternate blocks' 1/2-inch larger than the other black pieces in the 'alternate blocks'. The result is that the alternate blocks end up the same size as the sampler blocks. Without that little detail, the 'alternates' (based on 5x5 pattern) and the 'samplers' (based on a 4x4 pattern,) would not have ended up the same size without a lot of crazy math on one or the other.
Two more versions ahead. Stay tuned....
Linking up with Patchwork Times Design Wall Monday.