Tuesday, July 3, 2018

Not quite according to plan

Sometimes I think about half my quilts don't turn out according to the original plan.  How about you?
Interlocking Stars 45 x 53 top

This top is called Interlocking Stars and is from the book:  Quick and Easy Projects for the Weekend Quilter, edited by Rosemary Wilkinson 2002.

The original plan was to make it larger than the book pattern to fit a twin bed.  Somehow, I made way too many navy squares into HST's and then didn't have enough squares to even finish the original pattern.  You would think as a Math major in college I'd know how to count. Tsk.  Had to take apart a couple HST's and piece them back into squares for the centers of  the last 4 stars!

That left me with a whole bunch of HST's leftover.  How about a pieced border?  Exactly enough! 

These fabrics had been in the stash too long with no particular purpose and now they're used up. Hooray! There is still plenty of the solid tan for backing.  I think that came from my mother's stash.  (wow that's old!)

I think it will make a great picnic blanket.  The colors seem rather dull, but they all go together perfectly.  Well, it won't show the dirt!  LOL

3 comments:

  1. It turned out to be a pretty top. You could keep adding borders to make bigger.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it looks great and I admire you for being able to quickly come up with an alternative design.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very ingenious problem solving! It looks like it'll make a fun picnic quilt.

    ReplyDelete