Friday, September 21, 2018

Autumn Sewing Box Scraps

What a busy summer!  I took a break from quilting as I researched and prepared our Bloomington Heritage Days history displays.  The event was last Saturday - amid nearly record 90 degree heat and humidity.  It was deemed a success in spite of the weather, and now, in a swift Minnesota turn around, we have 53 degrees with over 5 inches of rain yesterday. 

Perfect Quilting weather!  And I can't believe how excited I am to get back to piecing and quilting again.  (Well, there was one summer project - a baby quilt that I can't share yet.)

Our rainy week was a good time to catch up on Kathleen Tracy's small quilt challenge.  Sewing Box Scraps, from her book A Prairie Journey was the August challenge.  I pulled out my 1-1/2 inch scrap bag to see what was there.  Not many light neutrals, but I had a lot of a tan and olive plaid.  Neither a light, nor a medium, it had been rejected so many times. 

In a totally uncharacteristic moment, I decided to use it as my background.  Paired with browns and golds it just says 'Autumn' doesn't it?  Not as scrappy as Kathleen's pattern, but it used pieces that were already cut to the correct size, cut-off's from a previous project.    That's a WIN in my book!  Here's the result:
Autumn Sewing Box Scraps 24x29
The plaid background makes it look kind of primitive.  It's tempting to applique a sunflower and crow, or something in Cheri Payne style, in the lower right third of the quilt.  Hmmm...

1 comment: