Thursday, September 26, 2019

A few little things

Heritage Days is over!  The past three years I've had a major role in putting together part of our community festival, and the process is all-consuming in the last month before the event.  Last weekend was the big day, and now I finally will have some time to sew again.  Isn't that a great feeling?

I haven't been totally away from the sewing machines though.  Just to keep my sanity over the past month, I've escaped to the sewing room a few times to do a bit of quick and easy stitching.

Bed sheet on the left, Daisy Kingdom on the right.
Only one block of the September 'Cheddarback' blocks was done - the easiest one.  And then, of course I didn't like it, and made a second one.

Searching around for a print fabric that was large enough to make the flowers proved a challenge.  I found one - Daisy Kingdom from the early 1990's left over from a sewing project for our daughter.  Looked lovely, but clearly the wrong era to go with the rest of the quilt so far. 

So, I tried again another day.  Found a bit left from a bed sheet - of all things - and gave that a try.  Better I think.  At least it looks older.

Dashing Through the Snow
Temecula Quilt Company has a little sew-along going on from now till Christmas called Dashing Through the Snow.  Adorable 3-inch Churn Dash blocks in red and white, with an alternate block in green.  I probably won't make all the blocks, but have another half-dozen cut.  I used up the whole scrap of red/white stripe making them.  Maybe a table runner??? 

Can you see the mistake in one?  Taking a photograph will bring out all those little things.  I might have to turn the center piece the correct direction in the lower left block.


Finally, I played with some selvege strips a bit.  I made an adorable basket weave quilt with them a while ago, but the pattern was to alternate color & white (with the selvege white strip being the white), so the lightest selveges kept getting rejected.  Bonnie Hunter does a lot with string blocks, and I thought that some of the neutral fabric selveges would work nicely in one of her patterns.  These are 4-1/2 inch blocks, and the plan is to make a version of Jamestown Landing.  I'll need 160 for a big quilt.  I have 25 done.  Guess I have a ways to go.  On the other hand, those 25 went together super fast, in an evening, so I just have to collect more selveges to keep going.

Neutral selvage string blocks
Basket weave Selveges 2019

2 comments:

  1. I hope Heritage Days went well. Fun that you get to go back to the sewing machine now! I would leave the stripe-gone-astray center block--it adds interest to a quilt! The light selvages will look great in a JL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think your tiny churn dash has a mistake--it's just quirky! Love both your baskets--you found some cool fabrics to fill them!

    ReplyDelete