Thursday, February 7, 2019

Basket-Weave Selvages

Selvage quilts and string quilts seem to be really popular among quilters these days.  Putting those two ideas together, I used Bonnie Hunter's Basket Weave Strings pattern using selvages instead of strings.  (Bonnie Hunter has a wonderful collection of free patterns on her Quiltville blog.  Get over there and take a look if you have not already done so.)

Basket-Weave Selvages 70 inches square

My squares are cut 6-1/2 inches, just because that size worked nicely with the rulers I have.  A lovely deep green from my stash was perfect for the setting blocks and border.


Many selvage quilts stitch onto a muslin backing, but, hey, who reads directions?  I just overlapped the 'strings' 1/4 to 1/2 inch and stitched through.  Hope that it will hold together! I did have one seam come apart just a bit where I wandered too close to the edge.  I'll have to hand stitch to repair it because I didn't notice it until the quilt was sandwiched and under my machine being quilted.


 Hubby has already laid claim to this one as he sat in his easy chair and read library books during our recent cold snap.  (Polar Vortex to all you non-Minnesotans.)  We actually noticed when it got to about -20F.  Our furnace worked hard for several days, and there were some two-quilt nights for sure!

Linking up to share at:  http://confessionsofafabricaddict.blogspot.com/2019/02/can-i-get-whoop-whoop-jewel-toned.html

1 comment:

  1. Love this interpretation of BH's Basket Weave Strings. Great idea. I have a basket and a box full of selvages just waiting to be stitched into something!

    ReplyDelete