Friday, June 15, 2012

Penny Lane Crib Quilt

Well, yesterday I was a bit naughty.  I went to the fabric store 'just to see what what was on the clearance racks.'  And I got carried away.  (Is anyone really surprised to hear that??)

One fabric I picked up was this adorable print.  The little four-patch printed squares were just the size to be cut apart.  A little sashing and bright cornerstones - Voila! 




By co-incidence the chocolate brown I pulled from my stash for the border was from the same designer.  That was a nice surprise!  No wonder it matched so perfectly! 

This went together in one day. The inspiration was Kathleen Tracy's Scrap Squares Doll Quilt.  I cut out the blocks and then measured them.  Odd size - 5 3/4 inches, but so what.  I cut 2 inch sashing and matched the length to the 5 3/4.  Corner stones were 2 inches square.

 I used a sashing method that was different from my
usual.  I added sashing and corners to each block, and then put them together in rows.  It worked great - until the last row when I stopped paying attention and managed to get a couple blocks reversed.  rip rip rip

I decided on a 3 inch border so that the quilt would not be any longer than 42 inches and the back could be one whole width of fabric.  I like the soft colors.  Not sure it's bright enough for a baby quilt, but it sure is cute.

No comments:

Post a Comment