Friday, August 2, 2013

Lake Association Picnic Quilt 2013 finished!

Finished up the picnic quilt to donate to our Lake Association for their picnic this weekend.  And of course in the process I tried and learned something new.

First the photo of the finished quilt...

The pattern is Via Air Mail by Anita Peluso and published in the July/August 2013 issue of Fons & Porter's Love of Quilting magazine.  Though I used fewer blocks to get the size I needed, and used blue instead of red for the border and back because that's what I had on hand, the quilt is quite like the original, right down to most of the quilting.  Pretty unusual for me to stick that closely to a pattern!

I have had trouble with my free motion quilting whenever I round a tight corner.  The bottom tension pulls too tight and though the front looks great, the back does not!  This time I tried out a suggestion of taping a business card over the feed dogs and leaving them up rather than lowering the feed dogs while free motion quilting.  Solved the problem completely!  I will surely do that again.

The fabrics are all cozy flannels from my stash.  Pulling them out has made me realize that I need to use up some more flannel.  I have two boxes overflowing.  I love this quilt so much I might see if I can make another similar one to keep, or be ahead of the game for next year's picnic.  But I am out of the cream.  Might have to substitute snowflakes!

No comments:

Post a Comment