Wednesday, January 31, 2018

Charlotte's Baskets

Sew excited to share this finished quilt!  My sewing machine really gets humming in January and February here in the Bold North - or Cold North depending on your point of view. 

Charlotte's Baskets is queen size and a Bonnie Hunter pattern from her book String Fling.  I had made up quite a few scrappy string blocks just for fun, and found this pattern was the perfect way to use them all up. 

Originally, I started quilting in a Baptist Fan pattern, but after using up one bobbin I set it aside.   My shoulders were so tense from manipulating it through the machine.  Weeks went past, and the Holidays too.  Resolving in the new year to get going on some UFO's, I decided to rip out the fans and go with a more straight-stitch grid pattern with the walking foot.  Triple Zig-zag on the widest and longest setting looks great on the navy sashing and border.  The only free-motion quilting is some loops and stars on the string block corners and in the string border.

A new marking method worked okay.  I used a gray ultra washable Crayola marker on the orange border.  The markings were sharp and did not fade or brush off like chalk markings have.  The marks don't come off with just a damp towel.  I had to wash the whole quilt, but they all came out. 

The next unquilted top has been layered and pinned.  All set to go!

3 comments:

  1. Looks great, Jean!!! What a great finish and a great way to use up scraps! I'm working on one from that same book right now--Talkin' Turkey. Wish me well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a nice finish! I think that's my favorite BH book--so many fun quilts and now I'm reminded I need to get back to my Jamestown Landing quilt. So glad the marker washed out--that must have been a bit of a stressful moment!

    ReplyDelete