Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Redwork blocks on the design wall

Lest you think I've been slacking off over the New Year, here's what I've been up to. 

Eight more redwork blocks finished.

For the very first time I actually bought some machine embroidery designs off a computer website.  I'm so glad they offer free designs to download and try first.  I was able to try that a couple of times and gain confidence that I understood how to download and that it would work.  Then there was a New Year's sale at Embroidery Library and the designs I wanted were $1.13 each.  So, out came the credit card at last.

Don't you just love the holiday instruments?  Drum (my niece is a percussionist), Handbell (my cousin's wife directs the handbell choirs at her church), French horn (my son plays horn), and Saxophone (my sister and my future DIL play sax.)

Then there's Santa with his reindeer, a lovely Angel, an ornament & bell, and a Christmas tree.  The first three were some of the free designs I tried out first.

I still have to decide how many blocks to make.  A queen size quilt might be nice on our bed for the holidays, but would take 30 blocks!  Sashing, or no sashing? Lots of options.  I suppose it depends on how far the red fabric will go before I run out.

The borders will need to be something other than white.  Learned that lesson long ago!  The natural oils in your skin, over time, will turn a white border yellow where you pull the quilt up at night, and it's impossible to get clean again!  Dark green pin dot?  Or should I look to see if I can match the red?

2 comments:

  1. Lovely redwork blocks. How fun that there were so many holiday instrument patterns! I would probably try to get a coordinating red for the borders, but then, I love red!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think a red print that coordinated would look good. I like 2 color quilts. So clean and classic looking. Those embroidered blocks are so cute. You did a good job. I also like your soup recipe. I made one tonight from another blog (Spiral) and it was good. Will try yours soon.

    ReplyDelete