Tuesday, January 21, 2014

For what it's worth...

Triple Square 14x19.5"
Today I did a little experiment.  What is a quilt worth?  I've been considering getting a booth this summer at our Church Festival Marketplace and selling some machine embroidered redwork dishtowels and aprons.  DH suggested putting out a few of the quilts I've been making too - the small mystery quilts and little 'just for fun' ones.

So, I picked out a simple free online pattern HERE.  It's called "Triple Square" and is the January Petite Quilt BOM by Garden Path Quilts.  I timed my quilting, though I did make a few runs downstairs to change the laundry from washer to dryer.  It took 3 hours to make from start to finish, including machine binding.  To make things easier for myself,  I enlarged the pattern slightly and used 1.5 x 3.5 inch already cut strips from my scrap bag.  So, with the larger size, materials used were 5/8 yard fabric including backing & binding, and 1/4 yard batting once I did all the math.  Finished size is 14 x 19.5, or just under 2 square feet.

I've checked a few web sites that give suggestions on what to charge when selling quilts.  They recommended figuring materials at full price (not sale price) including tax and charging at least minimum wage ($7.25/hr).
The math that came out even was:
Time & Materials:   $7.50 per hour plus $7.50/yd for materials = $30
Square footage:   $15 per square foot of quilt = $30

If I was more precise and used the 1.89 sq ft, $7.25 per hour and $6.40/yard (which is the value of four fat quarters + tax at Hancock Fabrics) the total is just over $28 for both methods of calculation.  So, that would be the minimum value I suppose, but it's an odd amount.

So, what do you think?  Is a small doll quilt, of only average quality, worth $30?  No showpiece or competition quality here, just a simple, quick and fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment